I modified the hat because my cream alpaca was stash yarn and significantly thinner than the bulky called for in the pattern.
I did a provisional cast on and knit the red part of the hat as directed using Knit Picks Decadence in Winter Berry. LOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVE that yarn. After trying the bobble brim as directed using first a single strand, then two strands together, and finally three strands together and still not liking the finished look, I tried a different approach.
This time I picked up the stitches and knit a ribbed band in red, then I followed Nicole’s advice from the Handknit Holidays-along blog for the elongated bobbles (making sure the right side was facing out after folding the bobble band over the ribbing). Finally I crocheted a chain around the join of the red and white to hide the red that was peeking through.
Not perfect but still pretty fun.
While perusing Martha Stewart Living in December, I came across this great idea.
So, loosely following the instructions in the mag, we used graham crackers to build “gingerbread” houses. It was a sticky, gloppy, finger licking mess. In other words, big fun.
And just when you thought you couldn’t eek any more fun out of a graham cracker…mass destruction of our little village ensued. Several days after construction the kids chowed down on what could only be described as the stalest snack in the history of ever.
Hubby built this for Cealinn. How cute is she? He built it from the Buttercup Dollhouse kit. It really looks adorable. There still a bit of trim work to be done, but our girl didn’t seem to mind playing with the work in progress.
Cealinn built a table, painted the furnishings, and added flower arrangements. Love the acorn top bowls!
Ugh. I miss her already…
Ladies and gentlemen, please allow me to present a completed Aran Tree Skirt. Now, now, do contain yourselves. Really. The standing ovation is just too much. Well. Ok. Keep clapping if you must.
Seriously, I finished it in the wee hours of Christmas morning. Please do disregard the totally unmatched dye lots. I didn’t notice it as I was knitting. Though it’s quite evident in the photos. Here it is in its rightful place under the tree (the unmatched color is in the back, whew).
It’s very pretty and I do recommend it if you’ve got the patience and arm strength. It got pretty weighty at the end and seriously strained my wrists and forearms, thereby limiting how much time I could spend on it in one sitting. All told it used 12 skeins of LB Wool-Ease Thick & Quick on US 11 needles.
If I make another (hubby has repeatedly mentioned how much he’d like one for us), I think I’ll use Knit Picks Sierra (two strands together on US13s gets the required gauge). It’s a bit more expensive than the Wool-Ease, but really lovely to work with. And for the amount of time spent on this project, using yarn you enjoy is well worth the extra expense.
Here’s some history….