So. I’m lazy. Whatever.
Anyway, the original draft of the decreases was too shallow, so I updated the pattern to include even rounds between all decrease rounds.
The recipe was adapted from Bon Appetit, April 2000. It’s a light and refreshing shrimp cocktail. We usually serve it in a hollowed sweet pepper with extra marinade.
Be sure not to over-marinate the shrimp, as they will get tough. The acid from the citrus juices will firm the shrimp, so only cook them lightly.
Enjoy!Ingredients 1-1/2 lb large shrimp, lightly cooked and peeled 1 small red onion, thinly sliced (about 1-3/4 C) 1/4 C vodka 1/2 C orange juice 1/2 C fresh lemon juice 1/4 C + 1 TBSP ketchup 2 TBSP olive oil 1/4 tsp hot pepper sauce (tabasco) 1/2 C cilantro, chopped salt & pepper
Combine juices, ketchup, vodka and hot pepper sauce in large bowl. Whisk in oil. Add shrimp, onion and cilantro and mix well. Cover and refrigerate at least 3 hours and up to 6 hours.
So, I joined the “Secret of the Stole” knit-along and the first assignment was to swatch, which I did. I had some stash Knit Picks Alpaca Cloud in peppermint heather and (oddly) a few strings of freshwater seed pearls and voila, swatch number one, which I quite like. It was knit on the recommended US4 needles.
Knit had a sale. So, while I was loading up on Noro Silk Garden at 50% off (woo-hoo!), I noticed Merino Oro. Of course that was not on sale, but at $16 for 1375 yds who cares? Now, the Oro is a good bit thinner than the Alpaca Cloud (really cobb weight, I think), but I was curious, so enter swatch number two (on US1.5s).
So, what do you think? Gray or pink?
There’s a discussion on the knittyboards about swifts and winders, so I wanted to share my half-rigged set up. Our lampshade works marvelously. Just loosen the cap that secures the shade and round and round she goes.
I wound 1375 yards of Merino Oro with it last night!
Hope you were wearing your seatbelt.
As mentioned in my original post, using Knit Picks Decadenceand smaller needles than suggested for a more firm fabric (US7s got me 4sts=1″), I CO8 (with a provisional CO) then – Kfb around, K around, *Kfb, K1* around, K around, *Kfb, K2* around, K around, etc., until Kfb, K20. Then continued to knit around even for a few inches.
Um. Next I ripped out those few inches of even knitting and started the “sides” of the beret again. There was just way too much fabric (44 inches in circumference – yikes!).
So, a more reasonable approach:CO8 provisionally Kfb around K around *Kfb, K1* around K around *Kfb, K2* around K around (continue as established, increasing 8 sts every other round) *Kfb, K20* around (176 sts) K *K2tog, K20* around (168 sts) K 2 rounds *K2tog, K19* (162 sts) k 2 rounds
blah, blah, until there are 112sts or 28 inches in circumference (I think…I’m not there yet).
Anyway, I just wanted to give a heads up to anyone playing along at home. Should have a finished pattern this weekend.
Cheers, and always wear a seatbelt.