Facebook Won

So the mommy blogging thing lost steam and the mommy thing stole all my crafty time and Facebook is just easier.

House reno courtesy of a washing machine flood may be the thrust of the 2014 blogging year. Stay tuned. Or not. Your call.

In the meantime, how cute are my kids?

mario and luigi costumes

Fashion notes:

The hats were purchased through Amazon (direct from China). The t-shirts are FOTL from Walmart and the overalls were sewn using McCall’s M6592 and some pants fabric from JoAnne’s. Tada.

and the winner is…

Viking Kellan!

mommy and the winner
mommy and the winner

Just received a call from the South Carolina Aquarium. Our viking won 3rd prize in the under 3 Halloween costume competition! Who’s the proud mommy?

As if my inclination to decorate the boys for public appearances needed any encouragement…

boo!

I mean Rooooaaaar…

liam gregor
the dragon unicorn in action

and arrrgh!

kellan robert
our viking on the move

Hope everyone had a super fun Halloween. You know we did. Liam was the boss of Halloween this year. We made lots and lots of “Halloween Projects”, such as:

cheese cloth ghost
ghosts
foam spider and cheesecloth web
spiders
foam pumpkin and grapevine wreath
pumpkins

and

scarecrow
mr. scarecrow

Liam also picked our costumes. He, obviously, was to be a dragon unicorn. Originally just a plain old dragon, but then he saw our neighbor in her unicorn costume and became obsessed with unicorns. No way mommy was making two costumes, so a dragon unicorn was conceived. The costume is a modified version of McCall’s 6185. My review is on PatternReview.com. It was a solid 11 or 12 hours of sewing, but well worth it i think. The boy really loves it.

liam gregor
check out my tail
liam gregor
grrrr

Kellan was originally slated to be a butterfly, but I made a last minute executive management decision. So, with only minutes of effort on my part, namely sewing a little fur vest, our viking was good to go.

kellan robert
my candy!
kellan robert
seriously! my candy!

You’ll note that mommy and daddy seem a bit random alongside our dragon/viking combo…

mommy, liam and kellan
had to catch more than just butterflies

It was decreed that mommy would be the butterfly catcher to Kellan’s overruled butterfly.

feather butterflies
who doesn't love butterflies?

And daddy would be a giant chipmunk, natch.

daddy
what a glam chippie

It was a big time. And we’ll be eating candy for months.

formal dining

Super easy (and cheap) jack o’lantern chair covers. Four orange pillow cases ($5/pair at Walmart), an 8″x10″ piece of black craft felt, a washable glue stick, four rubber bands and some stash green tulle, et voila. Best part is that these turn back into normal pillow cases in November. Provided the glue stick is as washable as its label indicates…

liam and the pumpkins

Here’s the play-by-play.

drape pillowcase over chair back
tuck in the corners
gather the top at the center and wrap with a rubber band
tie some green tulle to look like a stem
cut out felt eyes, nose and mouth
glue on felt eyes, nose and mouth
take a bow

welcome to bedrock

Hope everyone had a wonderful Halloween. We sure did.

the rubbles
Barney, Betty, and Bamm-Bamm Rubble
my cavemen
my cavemen
candy
so, this is candy...
mmmm...chocolate
yeah, chocolate!
digging for treats
digging for treats with regan

So, in typical fashion, I sewed the costumes on Friday and Saturday morning. Nothing like a deadline to get the blood pumping. Fortunately all the costumes were fairly lightweight. It was 84 degrees on Saturday. Ugh. The boy was still a bit warm, but not too bad.

Bamm-Bamm was a simple skirt cut to the approximate size of a pair of good fitting shorts and a sash that was draped to fit. The costume may have taken an hour start to finish, perhaps even less time. Both pieces were faux fur. The tiger print was soft on the back, so wasn’t lined. The sash was a bit scratchy so I lined it with leftover fabric from Barney’s costume. We found a squeaky club at a Hokus Pokus costume store and picked up a dog bone at Wal-Mart to complete the look.

Barney was cut following a modification of the tunic from McCalls 5683. The fabric was stach stretch faux suede. I cut a single front piece and single back piece and clipped all the edges.   Here’s the full review.

Betty was cut as a simplified McCall’s 5654 using some stash blue mystery fabric. I omitted the pockets and simplified the straps. I love the box pleats, but the dress is a tent. If your a tall, very, very thin girl (which I am admittedly not), it may be wearable as a real dress. On me however, yikes! The funniest part of my costume is invisible. I had to sew an old bra together in the middle to draw the straps in at the front. Unbelievably unattractive and fairly uncomfortable, but it kept the girls in check. Hoo-rah. Here’s the full review.